If you are going into a podcast niche or topic that already has a number of people in there, then you have to find creative ways to make yourself stand out. How do you do this?
This is the focus of this episode of #Audacity2Lead as Scott Murray shares with you how you can up your game, come up with a creative approach to emphasize your difference, and stand out in your industry.
Scott Murray is a creative host, content producer, host of The Assembly of Geek Podcast. He’s written and produced content for Public Radio and podcasting. He’s also worked in front of cameras and microphones as an on-air and voiceover talent.
You can also listen on: Google Podcasts | Email | RSS
- [LET’S MEET] I will be going for #SMWPodcastAfrica session at the Social Media Week event in Lagos, I’ll be joining Jesse Onomiwo to facilitate this special session of the event, and we are looking at the topic “Harnessing the Podcast Goldmine in Africa.” If you have been hoping to launch your podcast, now you have my guidance, instructions and availability in a live event. Click here to register for free.
- Podcast with Excellence: 30 Days to a Luminary Podcast course is still opened for registrations. Click here to be notified when registrations begin.
ON THIS EPISODE, YOU WILL LEARN:
- How your podcast approach can determine if you will be different or not.
- One way you can be creative through how you present your podcast. You will hear about when Scott was going to start his geek podcast, he saw what everyone else was doing, and asked himself, “What if we make everybody dress in superhero costumes, and make it look like we are all converging in this hall of justice?”
- How Scott mixed his podcast with narrator, which sounded like a 1940 announcer who introduces every show. Then bump the show up with 1940 music and sounds.
- How he decided to follow a different route when getting celebrity interviews on his show.
- One advantage of being on a podcast is once you’re on, it is up for everybody to hear, 24/7. People get to hear you talk every time.
- There are millions of English-speaking blogs on the internet that you will have to compete with, but there are just thousands of podcasts, most of them suck. So there is a vast opportunity for you to stand out.
TIPS AND RESOURCES SHARED:
- Start small and simple. Build credibility. Then go big. This allows you to build expertise and show how effective you can be.
- When starting a podcast, pick something you’re passionate about, because it will eventually show in the end product. Make sure you love what you’re doing.
- Figure out what sort of value you can provide your audience that they cannot get somewhere else.
- If you want to do interview show, to help your podcast don’t go out of the gate to get popular, famous people. Instead of going after those people who are being interviewed all the time, there are others out there with really good stories, with great content too. If you do this, then your show becomes where people get what can not be found anywhere else.
- Audacity (free podcasting software)
- Samson Q2U USB Mic
- Get some production elements – Run a search on Pond5.com
MENTIONED ON THE PODCAST:
- Scott Murray on Twitter: @mrscottmurray
- Scott’s website
- The Assembly of Geeks.com
- The Assembly of Geeks on iTunes
- Register for Harnessing the Podcasting Goldmine in Africa for free
Thank you for listening to this episode. Remember to Get Focused, Get Started, and Be Impactful.
3 thoughts on “HOW TO STAND OUT WITH YOUR PODCAST BY BEING DELIBERATELY CREATIVE WITH SCOTT MURRAY – Episode 23”
Thanks Dayo for your great sacrifice and for sharing your gift with us. You are a trail-blazer—and we are following closely, to learn and to emulate.
Thanks again. Stay focused. Keep moving. Remain impactful.
Welcome Dr Malik. Glad the podcast was helpful. And congrats on your latest episode
Pingback: If You Don't Start a Podcast Now, You'll Probably Hate Yourself Later - Audacity2Lead.com